Spicy Pepperoni & Prawn Pizza
With K-Pow’s Mexican Habanero Sauce
This is a super tasty easy to follow homemade pizza recipe that will run rings around those mass produced, tasteless cardboard pizzas you get from the big pizza chains, and at a fraction of the cost you’d pay at one of them “gourmet” pizza joints. This recipe uses a New York style pizza dough recipe that makes enough for 4, 30cm pizzas from each batch. You can put what ever toppings you’d like on it, but this is our twist on a classic pepperoni pizza, but with prawns and extra heat added, enjoy!
For the Dough:
- 1.5 Cups of Lukewarm Water
- 2 TBS Olive Oil
- 8 grams of Dry Yeast (1 Sachet of Edmonds Instant Dry Yeast)
- 1 TBS Kosher Salt or 1.5 tsp of regular table salt
- 3.5 Cups of All Purpose Flour
For the Pizza:
- Pizza Sauce (you can make your own by blending tinned tomatoes and adding a bit of oregano, or just buy the ready made pizza sauce)
- 200 grams of defrosted prawns, or fresh if you have them.
- Garlic Butter, enough so you can spoon out about 10 to 15 put small dollops of it on the pizza
- Half a Red Onion Cut into Rings
- Half a Cup of Grated Edam Cheese (or whatever cheese you like)
- Half a Cup of Grated Mozzarella Cheese, more if you like it cheesy
- 75 grams of Pepperoni
- 3 to 4 Fresh chillies
- 1 TBS K-Pow! Mexican Habanero Sauce, more if you’d like it hotter!
For the Dough:
- Add the flour and salt to a large bowl and mix together and create a well in the middle and add the water.
- Add the olive oil.
- Bloom the yeast (pour the yeast sachet into a small bowl or cup and add a small amount of water, stir in for a minute or 2 until it forms a paste like consistency) and add it to the flour.
- Mix the ingredients in the bowl until they come together, then turn out onto a floured surface.
- Kneed the dough until it comes together nicely, but don’t over work it.
- Form the dough into one large ball, and place upside down in a pre greased/oiled bowl (so it doesn’t stick), cover and set aside somewhere warm for at least half an hour, I put mine in the hot water cupboard.
- Once the dough has roughly doubled in size, turn out onto the floured surface and gently kneed, just enough to bring it together again.
- Cut the dough into 4 even portions and create dough balls with each of them.
- Place the dough balls on a baking paper lined tray, cover with some shrink wrap with a bit of oil on it and place back in the warm place for another half an hour, they should pretty much double in size again, so don’t put them too close to each other or they may stick to each other.
For the Pizza:
- Pre-heat your oven to 230 degrees Celsius for a conventional oven or 210 for a fan forced oven.
- Once the dough balls have roughly doubled in size, take one of them and roll it out on a floured surface with a rolling pin. You want to get the base nice and thin, this is a New York style pizza after all.
- Place the base on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Spread your pizza sauce on the base and sprinkle over the red onion. You probably don’t quite need the entire half of the onion, but that’s up to you.
- Sprinkle the pizza with the Edam cheese (or your cheese of choice).
- Put the Pepperoni on the pizza, followed by the Prawns, dollops of Garlic Butter and the Chopped Fresh Chillies.
- Add the Mozzarella Cheese to the pizza and top of with a generous swirl of the K-Pow! Mexican Habanero sauce, put on as much as you think you can handle 😊
- Once the oven is up to temp, place the pizza in the oven, towards the bottom of the oven, this will help get the base nice and crispy.
- Cook for 10 minutes, then check it, remove the tray from the oven and turn it around and put back in the oven for between 2 and 5 minutes, it will depend on your oven, but once the top has all melted and starting to brown and the base is all nice and crispy, then your pizza is done! Enjoy!
If you want a print version of the recipe, click on the link here: